Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Charcoal on Rives BFK

I've been looking for the ultimate paper for charcoal for a while, Michaelangelo was rumoured to be able to produce a masterpiece with a broom and a bucket of mud but I need a bit more help and quality materials definately make a difference.  So this is charcoal on Rives BFK, its been mentioned in the last little while in two of the blogs I follow, Michael Newberry - An Artist's Voice and Mike Manley's Draw so I took note.  They are both top notch artists and if you havent visited their blogs I recommend them, Mr Newberry is a big influence on me and his tutorials very good and Mike Manleys output and range is awesome.  Anyway, I ordered some of the paper and wasnt disappointed, it really can take quite a lot of abuse although being quite pricey I shall use it wisely.  I was introduced to the reference photo for this through Wet Canvas but it originates from http://www.cable9tuba.deviantart.com/  - some amazing images on his site.

Charcoal on Rives BFK a bit smaller than A3

3 comments:

  1. Love what you did here! Especially his hands and feet. The highlights on his shoulder and arm are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex, high praise from someone with your level of skill. I enjoy doing long highly finished drawings from time to time and the forgiveable paper helps enormously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear! "Your level of skill" - you are too kind! I think it will take me years to achieve YOUR level of skill! Perhaps we should form a mutual admiration society :D ...

    Seriously though, if you'd peek at my work sometime and give me a pointer or a suggestion, I will be most grateful.

    ReplyDelete