Sunday, 24 July 2011

Master Study - Cabanel

I have been working on this on and off for quite a while now, kinda got fed up with it as its dragged on too long and I havent been altogether happy with the palette but have learned quite a bit doing it. Trying to get it finished  but had to take a step back to go forward on that hand.

The WIP - 20" x 20" Oil on Canvas



The preliminary sketches 

Samson and Delilah - Alexandre Cabanel 1823 – 1889
The original - I cropped out Samson on my version as I didnt much care for his head.

4 comments:

  1. You have made a totally FANTASTIC job of this, Tina - I love it and it is wonderful to see all the stages together like this - well done on a beautiful piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An ambitious project Tina which has turned out well. I like how you have documented your progress, that helps all of us to learn from your efforts :)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rolina, thanks for your positivity and encouragement but I am afraid I cant agree, totally out of love with this one especially as its far too hot. Several new lessons learnt though and thats ALL that matters.

    Hi Dave, I nearly always document my progress even if its unpublished. My methods are a bit all over the place so I often need to see how I did something whether it was right or wrong - thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina!! Thanks so much for stopping by...I need to add you to my blogroll.

    It's funny...color charts are so easy and relaxing to do (I have done the Schmid style ones) and everyone always asks me how to do them. Maybe I'll do a project on them.

    The chart i just posted was just tints with white, the bottom square is straight paint applied transparently.

    ReplyDelete