Sunday, 10 July 2011

More Mylar

As I said in the last post I mucked this drawing up by painting on the same side as the graphite and then using liquin on it (I got confused - upside down? inside out? back to front?  I was tired!)  I decided to see what I could do with what remained after all, so referring to the original photo I redrew it and then got the oils paints out.  I went for standard paints rather than oilbars this time as I wanted to use a palette knife.  I'm really liking painting on this material, its smooth and slippery but you can manipulate the paint easily, put it on, take it off etc.  I tried to keep it thin but even so this is a big piece at A2 + and although the oils seem to dry fairly quickly it would be difficult to have many of these sketches lying around waiting to dry.  Anyway I enjoyed messing with it even if she did come out looking a bit like a case for Inspector Morse!   The squared off compositional device was blatantly pinched from the amazing Mr Derek Jones.   What was it Picasso said:  Good artists borrow, great artists steal.

Original drawing from life
Oilbar and liquin largely destroyed the drawing.
Restated and starting to make decisions about where to add the contrast.
After much fiddling, adding and subtracting finally done.  Seaweed girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment