Friday, 30 March 2012

An extraordinary man

I recently read an article in The Times newspaper on one of the last interviews given by Lucian Freud and was particularly taken with the accompanying photos by his assistant David Dawson.  So as a long standing devotee of the artist, and a new fan of the photography of Mr Dawson I thought I would paint a portrait of the master. (Purely for study)  The appeal of the particular photo was the strangely awkward pose, casual but not entirely natural or comfortable looking and Lucian looking almost camouflaged within his surroundings. I started the sketch and the block in entirely upside down which I found really helpful in placing everything then turned it the right way up for the details.  This has taken quite a long time on and off and its still not finished as despite several attempts I am still not satisfied with the face. Even the photo doesnt seem to be a typical likeness so I am struggling with the painting so am stepping back for a while to do further studies and sketches and think about it a while.  Its a shame he never got around to sitting for me in person, it would have been so much easier.  

Full credit to photographer David Dawson.

Oil on board 23" x 16"






No comments:

Post a Comment