Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Time for a new approach

The bottom two are from the previous couple of weeks but I am in a rut.  They are OK but I am shaking things up, looking for something more abstract and interesting.  Unfortunately I chose to change my approach at the same time as changing my support and this weeks figure is painted on the new Arches Oil paper and is the first time I have used it.  Its lovely to paint on but completely different to the slick smooth supports I usually use.  Its much more absorbent and you really need plenty of paint, it took me a while to get into my stride if I ever did.  I usually sketch in an underpainting in burnt sienna or similar, placing the figure accurately as possible from the start. I approached this more directly,  roughed in the the big shapes, the big colours and values and then carved and refined as I went before finally attacking it with a palette knife.  All the while I'm trying to think cool and warm, light and shadow, and shapes not detail.  This will take a lot more practice and mental adjustment, more dramatic poses and lighting would help but I'll see how I go for a while.  I'm looking to keep my colours cleaner and brighter for these quick oil sketches and not necessarily realistic.  I just noticed how similar all these poses are, I think I need to stand somewhere different next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment