Saturday, 29 December 2012

Last life of 2012

I did a lot of work from life in 2012 and think I made progress in some areas, certainly I am a quicker painter now but it took until one of the last sessions of the year to have something different happen and maybe become a turning point. All these are on 12" x 16" supports and I am most pleased with the small very quick poses on the same page.  These range from 15 to 40 minutes each if I remember correctly and I was deliberately going for more subtely with my colours and a higher key.  I used earth colurs along with ultramarine blue and I do think they lend themselves well to skintone. 






This was the longer pose about 1.5 hours (done before the quickies) and was much less successful, really I am not sure what that says about my approach!!!

This was an evening pose in a warm glowing light from a heater light, it has some issues but I liked the dramatic lighting.

These two were unfinished as the concensus was to change the pose after the break, about 40 minutes each.  I took some snaps of my set up and as I am the only painter in this session I try and keep everything neat and contained in my painting box, set up and clean up time is very short but after a year of working this way I have it off to a fine art now.  I use water miscible oils in these situations for practical reasons and out of consideration to my fellow artists - they work just fine.  The Arches oil paper I have been using also works just fine but its much harder to cover in the time than a more slippery surface.  I'll post more information on my materials and equipment next year but largely I think that its about getting used to what you are using rather than there being some ultimate selection of tools.  We all have preferences of course and some things suit better than others but its the artists brain that is the ultimate tool in my opinion and I will be forever working on getting mine to function as well as it can.....



So thats it for 2012 - onwards and upwards in 2013 and I am using the Christmas break to formulate my goals for next year and to think about and review the last 12 months.  Thinking is a major part of an artists job after all.  HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to see your progress and setup Tina. Thinking through what has been done and mapping out the journey still to be taken is an important consideration if we are not to become lost. Certainly it’s something I should do more of rather than just drifting on the tide.

    Good luck with the new year, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lost most of the time Dave but trying to formulate some sort of curriculum for myself. Trouble is at school my reports always said too easily distracted, ha!

      Delete
  2. I like these Tina ....good works , great thoughts !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I really appreciate your opinion.

      Delete