Sunday, 31 March 2013

The Italian job - St Francis


A painting for the new Pope.  Last year in Assisi I took some photos of an unusual but striking statue of St Francis and have been been inspired to create a painting with the naming of the new Pope.  If my research is correct the statue is of St Francis before he became a monk when he had planned to be a knight and join the papal armies.  Whilst on his way to Rome he had a dream where he was told he needed to serve God not the army, so he turned around and returned to Assisi with his spirits low as he was fearful of being called a coward and felt his dreams had been crushed. The statue is by Norberto Prioetti and as far as I could discover was created in 2005.  

Looking at a some Old Master paintings of various Popes when they wore red and also the resplendnt garb of the Cardinals it occured to me that painting shades of red without getting pink was something I hadnt attempted - light red is orange and yellow rather than the pink that emerges if you just lighten by adding white to red paint. 

Oil on deep canvas 24 x 30"
 detail

This is another painting from a photo I took in Italy, its from a former monastery in Corciano, Umbria and was rather picturesque.  Unfortunately it was a grey day but I thought it would be interesting to do a fairly low chroma painting - really it was an excerise in painting a variety of textures and also of paint handling and application.  I may do some glazing at some stage to liven it up a bit but I wonder how many times you can do a paintover of an old canvas.

 Oil on Canvas 20 x 30"
 detail

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl , thankyou for the great thoughts on me , I am touched to read you ....believe me I can't help but let the little snide men in on wc .... And I'm thinking I've had enough of the rudeness on there so if I'm around ill always take the time to look at what your doing and your work is fab and you have as we like to say in my school of art - yep you got it babe .....

    Ps thanks ill reply on your comment to me it's just my iPad is not letting me and I'm hardly ever on my PC anymore as I don't need the friging thing apart from banking on it .... Lol but I was really touched to read your thoughts babe ....lovely !

    ReplyDelete