Thursday, 11 April 2013

Bridges and barrels

A quick sketch of London Bridge in the evening from a phone camera photo; I have been collecting interesting clouds for some time now.  As another piece with a narrow range of values I am quite pleased with it although I may tweak the bridge a bit - the textures show up better in reality and I think it deserves a frame.  Its quite big for a sketch 16 x 20" Oil on linen.
I have also just started playing with glazing, I wasnt entirely satisfied with this painting, too monotone and too boring although I like the textures.  Finally I had a lightbulb moment and knew what do do.  I darkened the top left with some burnt umber, scrubbed in a bit of indian yellow on the lights and greyed the floor and walls with a light scumbling of kings blue.  Now it more closely resembles how I remember it, a dull day which lent a quiet and sombre atmosphere to the former monastery.   I'm very excited about the possibilities of making small adjustments and corrections using glazing and scumbling now I have seen how it works.  Also I am thinking I need to do a few more long and more considered paintings. 

2 comments:

  1. Tina, I'm very much impressed by these, especially the lower one. The painting stands upon strong drawing, and the color variations (the glazing/scumbling work you did) enlivens it further. I'm liking that large pot on the left a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prosenjit, it's good to dip into subjects other than the figure every now and then although they present a whole load of new challenges.

    ReplyDelete