Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Pencil - my latest discovery

The blog has been a bit neglected of late.  Christmas came and went in the blink of an eye and its rained so much each day has felt like just a different shade of grey.  Art must go on whatever the weather though and I have already managed three life sessions this year along with some studio noodling - something old something new and some things that will never see the light of day.  Here is the life work, the edited highlights as its taken a while to get back in the swing.  Sometimes a break is refreshing and sometimes it feels like you lose your momentum - a bit of the latter for me lately.

This was the only worthwhile piece I did at the monthly workshop - my mojo was still on holiday and so I didnt get it together till pretty much the last pose of the day.  This is a crop and I might have a go at seeing if I can translate it into a painting one of these days -  I really like the slight asymmetry of it.

Pencil on Drafting film
A3 ish
40 mins

 I was quite pleased with how this was going and developed it further than the quicky sketch I had intended.  I really enjoyed using pencil and playing with the mark making.

Pencil on sugar paper
section of A2 sheet
45 mins
Same session, different model.  Far too big for the time but still I enjoyed building up the values and another half hour would have been useful.

Pencil on sugar paper
A2
45 mins


We had a wonderful dynamic new model last night who inspired us to look out some Cadmus inspired poses.   I decided I wasnt happy with the proportions at the break but looking now there are some elements I like.

Pastel on sugar paper
A2
45 mins

After the break, about an hour I think and some things worked better and some not so well but Lee was an excellent model and hopefully we will get to use him again.

Pastel on sugar paper
A2
1 hour

No comments:

Post a Comment