Sunday, 6 July 2014

Channelling Zhaoming Wu

We decided to go for a two week pose at the Tuesday night session and attempt a Zhaoming Wu style pose and set up.  Having studied with him I have some insight but even so its a tall order to try and emulate such a master.  Our model didnt want us to take photos which was a possible route for me to attempt a more finished piece and of course we have the usual issue of rapidly changing light.  So at the end of day one although I had produced a more subtle and sensitive painting (pan pastels) than I have been doing recently it was a bit boring and I didnt know where I was going with it or even if I was going to bother for the second week.
I am glad I did bother though, the opportunity for a longer pose would have been wasted and its all too easy not to persevere.  Of course its hard to get the pose back, lots of things changed but I selected what I was going to change and what to leave as was and after all these years of life drawing I ought to have a bit of experience to draw on now. All in all I am happy with the 'atmosphere' - a big thing with Zhaoming, and although I could do more with the surroundings its OK I think.  Our Tuesday night sessions are such a pleasure, I love my art tribe and everyone did really stunning pieces with the extra time and we definately all feed off each other.  The consistency and conducive atmosphere has been really helpful to my progess.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tina
    Your comment on photographing the model is an interesting one. If a model agrees to do a sustained pose over several weeks or sessions I think they should be prepared to be photographed. I have done sustained poses and have oftened been photographed (with my agreement). Experience artists using wet media often work on the image between sessions. Based on my image, I have also been converted into a group of people in the artists work between sessions based on photos taken from several angles. One artist even used a camera zoom to get details of a hand position without moving their view point from their drawing board. (Helps with the optically challenged over a typical studio distance.)
    Regards
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barry,
    Our group is pretty informal and we just took advantage of having the same model for two weeks in a row - I definately respect the right of the model not to be photographed, this one is very young and modelling is not her career. If we were to do it again maybe making a proviso for that would be part of the planning. Mostly I am just grateful for the service they provide and happy if they can keep still. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Tina - this is truly lovely. and you did capture a lot of atmosphere with your soft colors, lost edges and this languorous pose. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete