Sunday, 17 May 2015

Foreshorting Frustrations

How to show convincing foreshortening without exaggeration?  I am sure the answers are in my head somewhere or at least in one of my many art books but for now I am a bit stumped and rather dissatisfied with the legs in both the female and male reclined drawings I have done this week.

 

Deliberate exaggeration and I wouldnt have minded doing a longer version of this one.



Playing it straight, not so interesting to my eyes and there was quite a twist in the pose which I am not sure entirely comes off. 










 

We had a very muscular and dynamic model for the all day session today - he really did do some excellent poses but it was challenging to do justice to all that anatomy.























This one has great potential for a longer piece and I wish I'd asked to take a photo.


The long pose with the problematic lower leg which didnt get any better after the break, sometimes a re-set helps but something still seems a bit off.






I'd wanted to work in charcoal but it was falling off the paper so I had to change to black and white pastel. 






The last one of the day and we were all this tired.

4 comments:

  1. I love foreshortening, but then I am a weirdo and I love perspective and they are all in the same boat, really. You have done very well with some terribly difficult poses there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a weirdo just like Rols!
    This really is excellent work though Tina. The twist does come off in the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard a higher education tutor speaking to a group of undergrad art students, " if you draw what you actually see, there is no such thing as foreshortening"
    Regards
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a weirdo too Rolina and Jessica but its the subtle foreshortening that is so challenging. I am glad you think they read OK.

    Barry I would agree with that tutor but I also think that additionally one has to make some artistic decisions so things read correctly and also make a better picture. I reckon I'll get to grips with that in another decade or two!

    Thanks for stopping by guys, I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete