Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Plein air with the Apprentice

This was our first plein air outing together.  My apprentice and I still had a few practicalities to iron out but we had a pleasant few hours.  I think five is a reasonable age to start to use oils, I wish I had started when I was young, and it was also an excerise in patience, concentration and a change of pace.  You have a different kind of concentration when there are no electronics around!

 I'd forgotten how differently the young think and see the world. Why wasnt I painting us and what we were stood on?  Yes, I see that the sky touches the trees and the trees touch the water (but still need to paint them with a gap between).  We learned that you dont need black paint, and in fact the the total thrill of the day was the discovery of what colours could be created by mixing.



The first painting is from the trip but as it was a bit rushed I thought I'd  have another go in the studio.  I'm not really sure what my goals are as far as plein air is concerned but I do know that composition on the spot is difficult.

Picture of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment